Posted in Blogging challenge 2015

Copyright & Creative Commons (blogging challenge – week 3)

The blogging challenge 2015

The topic for week 3 is: ‘Let’s show photos’

This weeks focus is about copyright and creative commons rules. I actually had to fix some of our posts after being reminded about copyright laws! I realised I had not cited where I had obtained our ‘quote of the week’ pictures so I went back and added the source for the photos on each of the posts. I also checked that the pictures I had used for our introduction and hello world post and found they are free for use without citation.

There are strict rules about how and when you can use images, videos and audio (music) that is not your own. In Australia anything that is created is automatically covered by copyright laws.  Click here to find out what copyright is and about creative commons (click here for Australian creative commons website). There is a lot of information to take in. To try and make it simpler to understand watch the video below about music piracy and then go to the All right to copy interactive.

From ‘All right to copy’ CC by Smartcopying Australia

Click on the picture to find out how these laws effect YOU as students. Click on enter ‘student access’ to see how Donna and Joe deal with copyright and creative commons laws to enter a webdesign competition.

What have you found out about copyright and creative commons? What do we need to think about when we are using images, videos or music in our work? Include words such as attribution, permission, licences and derivatives to show you understand the topic.

14 thoughts on “Copyright & Creative Commons (blogging challenge – week 3)

1. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    We found out that: you must always ask people to use their work, if you put a piece of work on the internet it is automatically yours only. ©
    From Aung and Charlie

2. Dear Miss Scarrott,

Tarkyn and Liam, found out how that copyright can affect you because if you don’t put the website down or contact the owner you can get in lots of trouble by the police.

From Tarkyn and Liam.

3. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Thanks for sharing this copyright video with all of the class we had learnt a lot from this video.
    Eh Htoo Wah and I learnt that Copy write can be a serious thing it’s like taking credit from other people’s things, it’s like a crime. And why do people put pictures or videos online when they don’t want it to get copyrighted?

From Eh Htoo Wah & Dhruvil

4. To Miss Scarrott,
    We have learnt a lot more about copyright and that if you want to use something such as images, videos, music and sentences from websites but unless you have permission to use it you can’t use it. When you want to use an image you must ask whoever owns the image. Something’s that you need to consider when you are using someone else’s image or ideas, does it say copyright on it or on the page you found it on. If not you can use it or contact the owner of the thing that you would like to use. But for music you must buy it if you want to use it.
    From Maddy & Ainslie

5. Dear Miss Scarrott
    We really liked the video that you had put up. From the video we learned that when you get images, videos, music or quotes you have to ask permission from the person who puts it up.
    From Hamid & Tobia

6. Dear Miss Scarrott,

We found out that copyright is put up to protect images, writing, music etc. from people using them without permission. When you want to use someone else’s work you have to ask for permission otherwise if we keep illegally downloading things or copy and pasting, artists or writers will lose money and might go out of business.

From, Annika & Helly 🙂

7. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    Some things we have found out about copyright are that some things you have to pay for, even if you ask for permission you still might not be allowed to use it, even if they say you can use it you still have to attribute them which means put their name down so that they still get credit for it and that once something is published on the internet it is automatically covered by copyright
    Something we have to think about when we download music, Films from a free site the creators are not getting any money for it and if everyone downloaded free music and films then there would be none because recording company’s and film industries wouldn’t have enough money to produce music and film.
    From: Nui & Bree 🙂

8. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Thank you for sharing the copy right video with the grade 6’s.

I learnt that if you copy something from the internet it could be fake information and he copied pictures and writing of the internet.

Sometimes when I search for stuff on the internet and I used always do it and I didn’t know that it was copy right.

If you were to copy something and have finished editing and you posted it and you copied something what would your reaction be?

From Joel:)

9. Hi Miss Scarrott,
    We learnt that you have to put down the websites you get information from, we need to think about putting the name of who/ where you got it from so you don’t take the credit for what you didn’t do and you need permission.
    Hannah and Brett

10. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Georgie and I really liked this video because it told us about copyright and all the ways someone can break the law. When we are using images that aren’t ours we should always give credit or ask the owner for permission to use the image, song or video.
    From Chloe and Georgie

11. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    Copyright is to stop people stealing like the images and music etc. Creative commons, is for other people to build upon but is not illegal and to share. We need to think about how people feel. Example, if you made an awesome music and feel all pumped about it then someone copy’s it how would you feel? That’s the same for images and videos when we use that in our work.

12. G’day Miss Scarrott and class,
    I hadn’t seen that video before or the interactive. I might add them to the list when I do this activity again in September challenges.

You are doing a great job with leaving comments on your class blog as well as on the challenge blog. Sometimes though I need to tweak your links – but at least you are trying which is fantastic.