Posted in science

Disasters Downunder Reflection

image

What a fantastic unit of work! The students have been working hard to create explanation texts, timelines and visual displays to demonstrate their knowledge of a particular disaster. I am looking forward to seeing the students share their learning with their families tonight and the school community tomorrow at our showcase.

6K can you tell me some interesting things that you have learnt about disasters this term?

Do you still have any questions that need answering?

13 thoughts on “Disasters Downunder Reflection

1. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    I learnt that-
    Volcanoes, and tsunamis are started by earthquakes.

Lighting starts most natural bushfires.

Some bushfires are started by arson.

I learnt that bushfires rejuvenate some types of plants.

I learnt cyclones, hurricanes, and typhooons are all the same things.

Questions I still have…
    I think I have learnt enough and dont feel the need to find out anything new.

From, Charlie

2. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    I’ve learned that…..

1.Tsunamis mostly occur in Japan. In the southern hemisphere Chile and Indonesia are affected most.

2.Tsunamis can get as high as 100 feet.

3.Tsunami is a Japanese word for ‘harbour waves’.

4.Tsunamis are caused by underwater volcanic eruptions or earthquakes.

5.Tsunamis mostly happen within the ring of fire in the Pacific Ocean.

A question I still haven’t answered is how long does a tsunami go for?

This topic about natural disasters was really fun and enjoyable 🙂 I learned heaps during this unit and my favourite part of the project was making the explanation text.

From, Annika.

3. Dear Miss Scarrott
    I have learnt lots of things during our topic Disasters Downunder, but the most interesting things I have found out are, the Tectonic Plates move 10cm every year, the Pacific Ring of Fire is called that because the 2 Tectonic Plates meet there, people live under volcanoes so they can collect money by collecting the soil and after a volcanic eruption the soil creates new plants and there are 4 types of volcanoes they are called composite, shield, cone and cinder.

4. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    I learnt that there are two types of floods, slow-onset and rapid, cyclones and hurricanes need to be moist, cyclones only appear on the equator. Tornadoes on the northern side of the equator. Hurricanes appear on the southern side of the equator. Floods are measured are on the stream gauge. Tectonic plates move ten centimetres a year.
    But I have no questions.
    By Nibon

5. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    I really liked this term topic, because I learnt so much like why earthquakes don’t hit Australia. The interesting fact that I found out is that cyclones form over steam and they only hit things in the equator and the tectonic plates move 10 centimetres every day. The question that I have is why natural disasters happen?
    From Dhruvil

6. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    I have been existed for the showcase but was worried if I didn’t finish. But now I’ve finished I can’t wait to see what the other classes have come up with. I enjoyed learning about tsunamis and making a song in music and have learnt so much that I hope not to forget, did you know that Australia doesn’t get tsunamis because of the Great Barrier Reef has two run ups instead of one and gets cut off.
    What is the worst natural disaster? And why is it the worst?
    From Maddy 😉

7. Dear Miss Scarrott
    This terms topic was really interesting and good.
    The interesting fact my disaster is every day there is more 1000 earthquake on earth we just can’t feel them.
    I want to know that what tectonic plates are made from.
    From- Helly

8. Dear Miss Scarrott,

I really liked this terms topic because I got to learn lot of information about Cyclones I really would like to do this topic again but on a different disaster.

I learnt that a cyclone forms over tropical waters at 30 degrees, that a cyclone is made from steam, that a cyclone can go to the equator, if a cyclone hit you, you will need plans to know where to go, that if you are in the middle of a cyclone don’t manic and that cyclone Yasi is the strongest cyclone and a lot more.

I fell really nervous about the show case tonight because lot of parents are coming, but we still get to share our work that we done during this term.

I really want to go forward and learn more about cyclones like if you had family and friends overseas is there a way to message all your family when a cyclone is about to hit and if there is more programs I would like to know that.

From Liam.

9. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    I really liked this lesson because I learnt heaps about my disaster and lots that I thought never existed.
    I found out that a flood can last over 6-8 weeks.
    I also found out that cyclones, typhoons and hurricanes are the same thing but spin different ways.
    From Georgie

10. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    I learnt that Volcanoes only erupt at a certain time when the tectonic plates are shifting. Volcanoes are named after a Greek god some Volcano are called shield and core.
    I would
    From Hoia

11. Dear Miss Scarrott
    I learnt that a tsunami is caused by two tectonic colliding together in the depths of the ocean and they mainly occur in the r Pacific ring of fire where all the tectonic plates meet together. Also tsunami is a Japanese word for harbour wave. I also learnt that a tsunami has the speed of 500 miles per hour. And the safest place to be during a tsunami is high ground where you are least likely to be in danger. I learnt that science has helped society deal with tsunamis by creating warning systems to warn us about the tsunami and help us prepare they also created radar systems to help us detect nearby tsunami.
    From Eh Htoo Wah

12. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    Some interesting things I’ve learnt about natural disasters are…
    -The mercalli scale measures the damage of an earthquake.
    -bushfires mostly happen in colder places than hotter places.
    -Tectonic plates push and pull and then too much stress builds up and that’s how an earthquake occurs.
    -Sometimes an aftershock can be more dangerous than the main earthquake.
    One question that I still have is why does Australia not have any serious earthquakes?
    I really liked this unit because it was really fun and I learnt a lot of things I’ve never learnt before.
    From Chloe 🙂

13. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    I have really have enjoyed this topic and learning about not just the disaster I’m doing but all the other disasters. Some facts I have learnt have been…
    ~ Most firefighting deaths happen when the wind suddenly changes direction and there is no way to escape.
    ~ That in Sydney they are designing robots to fight fires because sometimes humans can’t get close to the fires because it is too dangerous.
    I have learnt heaps this term and I am excited to go to the showcase and see all my class mates and their amazing work.
    If I was to have one last question to be answered would be.
    What is the most dangerous disaster that has ever happened?
    From Ainslie