16 thoughts on “Leap Years

1. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Learning about the leap year is very interesting and confusing. But at least I learnt something. I always thought there was 365 days in one year and I knew there was a little more but I never knew how much, and now I do, there is exactly 365 days 5 hours 48 minutes and 45 seconds.
    Thanks for teaching us about the leap year.
    From Tanika!

2. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    Today I learned about how every 100 years there is no leap year because it actually takes the earth 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 45 seconds to travel around the sun. That means if we add it up, it doesn’t equal a day so our calendars would be going too fast. To fix that, every 100 years there is no leap year! Could we change how long our days are so there would be no leap year? Would it match up with the day and night?
    From Samantha 🙂

3. Dear Miss Scarrott
    We found out that we have a leap year every 4 years because it takes the earth an extra 5, hours 48, minutes and 45 seconds to go around the sun.
    Fact we have a leap year every 4 years.
    Why do they call it a leap year?
    By Gracie and HserEhMoo

4. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    Today I found out that the Leap year only happens every 4 years because it takes the Earth to rotate around the Sun for exactly 365 days + 5 hours, 48 minutes and 45 seconds. Also every 100 years, there is no Leap year!
    One of my questions is, what would happen if we added the Leap yea to a different date, would it also affect how the seasons go?

Angela.

5. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Today we learned about an interesting year and day called a leap year. Leap years happen every 4 years and this year 2016 is one of them. February as you know only has 28 day’s but not in a leap year there is an extra day in February those born on that day are called leaplings. Leaplings who are born on February 29th 2004 would be 3 years old this year. My question for leap years is why do leaplings turn 3 this year?
    From M

6. Dear Miss Scarrott
    I found out tons of things today. When you are born on the 29th of February, you are called a leapling. There is an extra day in February. In estimate, it will take 365 days and 6 hours long of the earth to go around the sun, But it’s actually 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 45 seconds long. It takes the Earth 365 ¼ days long and it adds on. The question I got is how people in 46 B.C knew about leap years.
    From Bruke 🙂 🙂

7. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    I learned that it takes the Earth 365 ¼ days to travel around the sun completely, and that people who were born on the 29th of February are called ‘Leaplings.’
    From Mark

8. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Today in maths we learned all about leap years, I personally learned that every 3 out of 4 years it isn’t 365 days and 6 hours it is actually 365 days and 5 hours, 48 minutes and 45 seconds. My one question is why the earth moves out of its normal positioning?
    From Sam

9. Thank you Miss Scarrott for taking a “leap year” class session with us. Everything has cleared up, and here are a few of the brand new facts I know now.
    1.) A child born on the 29th of February is called a Leapling. They get to choose their birthday the 28th of February or 1st of march
    2.) 1 in every 1,500 people have birthdays on Leap years.
    3.) In a normal year there is 365 day 5 hours 48 minutes and 48 seconds, but in a Leap year there is 366 days
    4.) A Leap year is every four years. But if you can divide the year by 100 EQUALLY it is not counted as a Leap year
    5.) The extra hour’s minutes and seconds in a normal year add up every year, and on the 4 year it becomes 24 hours. Since 24 hours is one day we have to add an extra day to the calendar.
    As well as the session went I still have a few questions
    1.) Why do we call it a leap year if we are adding an extra day?
    2.) What would happen if there was no Leap year?
    Sincerely Jessica

10. Dear miss scarrott
    We found out the reason we have leap years is because it takes the earth 365 days and a ¼ to travel around the sun, so the ¼ add up over 4 years so that’s why every four years it’s a leap year. If we don’t have a leap day all of the seasons we be out of wack.
    How do people feel about the leap days?
    From Emma and Saymeh

11. Dear Miss Scarrott
    I found out about a leap year only come every 4 years, and it tack the earth 365 days and ¼ year to go around the sun. How is born in a leap year is call leap ling. Why do they put it on February?
    From Htaw Nay

12. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    I found out the reason we have leap years every four years is because it takes the earth an extra 5 hours, 48 minutes and 45 seconds for it to travel around the sun.
    I also found out that a person born on the 29th of February is called a leapling. If we didn’t have a leap year all the seasons will be all wrong and special events like Christmas and Easter will be on different dates and months.
    My question is why do they call it a leap year because we are adding another day on?
    From Jorja.

13. Dear Miss Scarrott
    I learned that every 4 years is a leap year. Leap years are on the 29th February. It is an extra day that is sometimes on the calendar. And I learned that it take 365 ¼ days for the earth to travel around the sun.
    Why do leap years only affect the 29th February?

From Simon

14. Dear Miss Scarrot,
    How did people make the leap year?
    On the 29/2/2016 this year is a leap year every 4 years it is a leap year because it takes the earth 365 day and 5 house 48 min and 45 second every year to go around the sun.
    1 in a hundred people have a leap year that is because they were bone on the 29/2 every 4 years.
    If we didn’t have a leap year everything will all be different. From Brandon.

15. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Today I learnt that leap day is on the 29th of February and it is really interesting and I learnt that it
    Happens every 4 years and it doesn’t happen on 2100 because it’s not exactly 6hs. Why is the leap day on the 29th of February?
    From Murat

16. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Today I learnt that every 4 years a leap year happens and an extra day is added to the calendar on the 29th of February. Originally there is only 365 days in a year but when a leap year happens it becomes 366 days it takes 5 hours 48 mins 45 seconds for the earth to go around he sun many people think it’s 6.
    Q. when did the leap year start?