Posted in Numeracy

Prime and Square Numbers

Go to the following interactives and work through them with a partner;

Square Numbers : Circus Towers: Square Stacks (Scootle)

Prime Numbers Scootle

prime 

You task is to answer this;

True or false? Of all numbers, are square numbers the only ones to have an odd number of factors?              

How will you find out about the factors of different numbers?

What did you find out today?

14 thoughts on “Prime and Square Numbers

1. Dear Miss Scarrott,

We think that the question is false because any number can be divided at least once. We founded out how to do factors of different numbers. You need to use multiplication when doing factors of different numbers. For example, 18 and 1 and also 9 and 2 are factors of 18

From Bruke and Simon 🙂

2. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Today I found out what prime and composite numbers are I had heard of it before but never knew what they were. My definition would be “prime numbers are numbers that have two factors 1 and itself e.g. 3, 2.
    From Noah

3. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    Today Ke Bre and I learned about prime and composite numbers. We learned that the prime numbers can only be divided by 1 and themselves, and a composite is more than two factors. We also enjoyed the game, it taught us new things about prime and composite numbers.
    From Mark and Ke Bre

4. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Today we found out about square numbers and it can only be times by itself. We also learnt about prime and composite numbers and how a prime number can only be times by itself and 1.
    From GaeSoe & Htaw Nay Moo

5. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    Today we found out that more about prime and composite numbers as well as square numbers.
    We clarified our understanding about prime numbers being a number that has 1 and itself as a factor. For example, 7 is a prime number because the factors of it is only 1 and itself. Another example is 29, because the factors of it is only 1 and itself.
    From Angela and Tanika

6. Dear Miss Scarrott’
    We learnt about square numbers and how they work. We also learn what a prime number is and how they can only be multiplied by it’s self and one.
    Some square numbers are 2×2=4 3×3=9 6×6=36 7×7=49
    From Phoebe and Hser Eh Moo:)

7. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    Thank you for this session. It definitely reminded both of us what a Prime, and composite number is.
    We found out, what a square number is. It is a number when it can be arranged into a square array
    From Jess and Emma 

8. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Today Murat and I found out that prime numbers can only be made by 1 and itself.
    We found out that square numbers is a multiplication of 4 times 4 and 2 times 2 and more to make a square number.
    From Brandon and Murat.

9. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Square numbers is multiply a number by itself. Example; 2×2=4 , 3×3=9 , 4×4=16 , 5×5=25
    By: SayMeh and LaMeh

10. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    Today I found that no one really know s if the number 1 is a prime number. Some people say it’s also a squared number because 1×1=1 and it only has 1 factor instead of 2.
    From Samantha

11. Dear Miss Scarrott,
    Thank you for today’s lesson, we both learnt something new that we didn’t quite understand fully before.
    Day Day and I learnt that composite numbers has to be at least more than 3 factors and it makes a square array. We also learnt that prime numbers can only be divided by one and it’s self as factors ONLY.
    Our definitions for prime numbers, composite and square numbers is
    Prime numbers: can only be divided by one and itself as factors only.
    Composite numbers: needs at least 3 factors to be a composite number
    Square numbers: a number that can be arrange into an array
    We enjoyed this session!
    From Jorja and Day Day

12. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Today Will and I reminded ourselves about prime and composite numbers that I already knew a fair bit. Will knew about it as well but forgot what the names for them.
    From Sam and Will

13. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Today I find out about square number. a square number is multiplying the number by itself. Example; 2×2=4 , 3×3=9 , 5×5=25
    By: PerMeh

14. Dear Miss Scarrott
    Today we learn about Square numbers. Square number is multiplying a number by itself.
    Tarimo and Poe Meh